Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Workshop of Mythical Creatures (and book titles)

A few days ago I opened up one of my old manuscripts and cringed at its title.

I hate titles. I hate titling stories. Sometimes it comes quickly, without any effort at all. More often, it's a slow and agonizing process, like decay - like cooking dinner.

Then, sometimes, a title will come along and smack me in the face just when I least expect it. Even more than a year later, when the story's done, and sitting on the back of my hard drive counting up its dust particles.

I've thought of renaming this old manuscript The Unicorn and the Griffin.

It seemed imbecilic at first, but it's kind of grown on me. Both creatures are mentioned in the story, although neither is actually in the story.... only as suggestions. And perhaps metaphorically... or allegorically... in the two main characters. Paul would be the unicorn. Nick would be the griffin.

It's a Civil War-era story (the world needs more of these, right?), not exactly a romance and not exactly literature. More like a character study... or of how two very unalike people learn to be friends.

The more I thought about the unicorn and the griffin, the more I wondered at the mythology and meaning behind the creatures. Symbolism is everywhere, and sometimes titles are more than they appear.

In my very old encyclopedia, it mentions that unicorns were often the symbol of virginity. It's also used in heraldry as a living thing that has broken free of its bonds. It's a "supporter" (in heraldic terminology) in the Scottish Royal Coat of Arms. These meanings suit Paul very well. He's a very non-sexual entity, and his people are from Scotland (he was himself born in Canada). I don't know that all that nonsense about a unicorn being tamed by a maiden would do Paul any good...

As for Nick and his creature, the griffin represents vigilance. In the story, Nick was used as a scout and cartographer. In heraldry, griffins are for military courage and leadership. Also appropriate for Nick. He joined the Union Army far before Paul did, and Nick was definitely the dominant one in the partnership.

There's also a nice little bit on Wiki that suggests that griffins mate for life, and when its mate dies, for the rest of its life it is alone. That would apply, too, in a way, though I haven't written that sequel yet, so perhaps I shouldn't give too much away.

This is the fun I run into being a writer. Now back to sitting on my nest of unpublished books...

Unicorn wiki
Griffin wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment