Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lughnasadh Gratefulness (and yums)

Ah, long time, no post... HAPPY LUGHNASADH!

Here is the zucchini fried cake recipe that goes with the Hyacinth Noir Lughnasadh Spotlight Issue!

2 cups shredded zucchini (thoroughly drained, especially if from frozen)
2 eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
1/4 c. finely diced onion
1/8 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp. ground pepper

Mix everything together.

Get a pan ready with about 1/4 inch of oil on the bottom. Heat on medium-high.

Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into heated oil. If required, flatten the dough down a little. (I didn't have this problem, although the dough will be lumpy with all that good stuff in it!)

Fry about two minutes on each side. Blot excess oil off with paper (kitchen) towels.

If you'd like to get a little more into the Lughnasadh spirit with this recipe, omit the onion and dill. Fry batter as above. Serve with warm blueberry and strawberry syrup while you celebrate Lugh's day!

***

Also, here is the zucchini bread recipe used in the Lughnasadh issue.

Mix together at high speed, about 1 minute:

¾ c. vegetable oil
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Stir in:
2 c. last season’s grated zucchini
20-ounce can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained

Then mix with:
3c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 c. of raisins and 1 c. nuts are optional (not featured in my photo)


Pour batter into two greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake at 350 degree F (176 degree C) about 75 minutes (1 hour, 15 minutes), checking after the hour mark. To check, insert toothpick in center of loaf. If the toothpick comes out reasonably clean, loaf is done.

This bread has a crispy crust, especially on the top, and will appear pretty brown even when not completely done.






***


I was very happy to write about Lughnasadh for Hyacinth Noir! During our correspondence the last week, I certainly grew aware of their dedication to the grandness that is Hyacinth Noir — and I learned even more about the trickiness and contradictions that come along with being a writer.

For one thing... Whenever you decide to write a piece, a story or an article or even a journal entry, you have to love what you're writing — you have to love writing.

Then, when the piece is complete and it's time to edit, you have to be very objective, and suddenly let yourself dislike what you've worked hard on — just long enough to edit it with a critical and impartial eye (and heart). 

I understand how it's difficult for writers to be objective when it comes to editing their own work. I think this is something that comes with time and practice. You have to allow yourself to do it. I had to rely on myself to be my own editor, there was no one else, and it is not something I would recommend for every creative person. There is a fine line, of course, between knowing what will make a piece you've worked on better, and criticizing yourself too thoroughly that you come to hate everything you do.

The same could be said for baking the zucchini recipes in this entry. Actually, the same could be said for your hobbies and your job.

Well, this Lughnasadh, I grew to be thankful that I was in a position to write the spotlight issue for Hyacinth Noir. I was so honored to be asked, and it was so interesting for me, and I'm so glad I had the chance to do it.

If you don't mind, I think I'll end this entry here. This morning, I wrote 7500 words in a novel I've been working on, and 7900 words yesterday. My arms are tired, and my brain feels as shredded as the squash used in those two recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment