Thursday, September 5, 2013

Is it time to change my peppers?

Let's create a haphazard, whimsical kind of blog entry, yes-no?

Change looms. Actually, no... Change is here. It sweeps in on tiny, delicate little winds, in tiny, delicate little ways that I want to believe won't give me a gratuitous smack across face and soul. But yes. They do. Smack away, change! Smack away.

For one thing, after several years of quality and reliability, my computer is being replaced. I expect the new-old one to show up today (it's not new). For almost the last week, I haven't been able to work on any writing. This may not be the computer's fault, not entirely.

Change is also coming in the form of spiritual direction and initiative. I am finally doing something about the uncatalogued mess that is my religious and spiritual efficiencies. My intention(!) is to study more druidism, and, related or not, pay more attention to energies and the moon.

Change is in the furtherance of my technological knowledge! I learned how to create MOBI and EPUB files! While it took me two and a half hours to get all the formatting the way it was supposed to be, my determination and curiosity saw me through! I consider this one of my grandest accomplishments of the last month.

Also, finished writing a book that I first started over two years ago! I'd abandoned it for almost a year, would write in it fitfully and unfaithfully, then finally took the last month to write 123,000 words and complete it! I hate the title, though. I keep hoping some grand title will come along. It is funny how titles are either there before you start writing a piece, or they struggle to unify with the piece even after it's complete. That might just be my psyche.

Cottage life has been pretty dull. It hasn't rained significantly since the start of August, but the eighth month of the year is always the most arid. Cottonwoods are beginning to drop leaves. Some finicky, early-blooming deciduous, like sugar maples and flowering ornamentals, are beginning to show more skin. Lots of the garden flowers look tired, like the red salvia. Strangely, my pansies, planted in April, continue to produce showy blooms. I've wished my strawberries would bloom again, produce another round of fruit, but I think this is a hopeless wish. I have a feeling that strawberries are very recalcitrant and stubborn flowers. This might be why I associate with them so well, of all the flowering fruits.

One more short story of mine is supposed to be coming out in October, in a paperback (I guess?) anthology, and I will relate more details to my numerous readers (ha) when I have them. Two rejections, one significantly more painful than the other and I cannot really figure out why... Usually I just shrug them off after a while, and move on with life. Four short stories released in six months, that's not so bad.

How about I finish up with a recipe? This is an easy, breezy meal good for Indian Summer evenings.

Pepper Pasta

1/2 - 3/4 c. julienne sliced green pepper and sweet red pepper
1/2 c. sliced sweet Vidalia onion
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbl. vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. pasta, uncooked (or cooked and ready to go)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 tbl Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (parmesan, or Italian-blend cheese)
1/8 tsp. of dried Italian blend herbs, optional

Pour the 2 tbl of vegetable oil into large skillet. Cook over low-medium heat the peppers and onions until tender. Add garlic and chopped tomato. Make pasta (if necessary); drain. Add pasta to the skillet. Add basil, salt and ground pepper. Heat until hot. Add cheese when serving.

Protein options: Add 3/4 c. diced cooked chicken ... Or add 1/2 drained and rinsed garbanzo beans. Might also be good with tofu, but I've never tried it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment